This policy brief focuses on Research Funding Organisations (RFOs).
Key recommendations relevant to RFOs:
- RFOs should adopt the SATORI framework for ethics assessment in R&I activity.
- RFOs should generate/promote general awareness of ethics and ethical issues among researchers and innovators.
- Improve the capabilities of RFOs to perform ethics assessment.
- Enable regular discussion and exchange of information among RFOs at the national and international levels on the good practices in ethics assessment of R&I.
- RFOs could insist on the requirement that those who receive funding should adhere to a specified code of ethics.
- Standardise the review and audit procedures of SATORI’s ethics assessment and ethical impact assessment methodologies as much as possible to decrease the administrative burden on RFOs.
- Set adequate criteria and procedures for in-house ethics review and monitoring of proposals and projects.
- Train ethics assessors in applying the SATORI framework and principles.